Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What I miss the most...

I miss Iris every day. Every hour of every day is more accurate. I only got to be a part of her life for 8 short years. We had some great times, and oh, did we have some bad times! Any mother of a teenager can relate. It gets ugly, people. It goes without saying that I miss her face, her voice, her laugh, her hugs....I could go on forever...

As I drove home from work today, a rainy day, I couldn't help but think of what I miss the most.

I miss the way she would roll her eyes when I tried to give my advice.

I miss the way she always wanted to be my personal stylist when we went shopping. (I still don't know how to wear scarves.)

I miss the way she and I could be mad at each other one minute, and bond over trashy reality TV the next.

I miss how she taught me all the words to every Lady Gaga song.

I miss being shopping buddies...clothes, makeup, purses, anything!

I miss us fighting over the comfiest spot on the couch.

I miss ganging up against Cindy. We would always win! ; )

I miss coming home and finding her on the couch, watching TV.

I miss how she would always lose or break her phone.

I miss how she told stories.

I miss how she loved hanging out with her mom.

I could write a book about all the things I miss after only 8 years. These are things that I miss every day and I'll never forget. People think this month is harder to get through. It's not any harder than any other month of the year. It's not more painful than every day. Regardless of the smiles on our faces or the spring in our step, the ache of missing her is always there. I miss her so much every day and the hole in my heart will never fully heal.

I love that I can talk about her with my friends and family without them acting uncomfortable or looking at me in pity. I want people to know her and how she was and who she was. I don't want anyone to ever forget.

There are many people that have come and gone in my life, and I miss them all. But I'll always miss her the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment